Sunday 2 February 2014

My Preference Quality Over Quantity:


Who doesn’t like shopping? Everyone does even if they preach otherwise. I can recall the time when, from needle to furniture, everything was purchased by my mother and markets were somewhat alien places for the rest of us. Then after Masters, shopping germs grew in me and now you can assume safely that every minute I am connected to Internet, my wish list prolongs. 
 
 In the early days (almost a year and half), I always believed why buy expensive things when you can get 2 or even 3 in the same price at slightly compromised quality. Honestly, it was for me the better utilization of every penny I spent. So, I was quick in buying low quality, inexpensive items that falsely seems the right thing to do with a limited budget. I suffered from dissatisfaction of impulse buying, not having enough, over spending, eating up my savings, and above all crowded closets. In other words, I faced the syndrome of having closets full but didn’t have anything to wear. 

WHY I STOPPED PREFERRING QUANTITY OVER QUALITY?


a.    Quality items discourage the behavior of impulsive buying. Otherwise, discounted prices tempt and you end up buying something only because it was cheap not because it was needed. Result? Crowded drawers and still not enough space to store. 
b.    Less is always more: I would quote example of clothes. Last year I purchased several inexpensive dresses that soon either lost their color, got ripped from places, or became so lousy that I didn’t like them wearing at all after two three times. I had them hanged in closet but hardly ever touched them during due seasons. As a result, I had to give proper attention to my closet to keep it maintained but on occasions I used to be totally blank as to what to wear. 

      Opposed to this were the dresses that I purchased with hand on my heart and a dent on the pocket. But they were stylish, had amazing cuts, quality fabric, and I used them for no less than 5 years. If I average out their cost on 5 years, they turn out to be far inexpensive than the cheap clothes that didn’t endure even a season. Many of them are still in tip top shape. Now, I have started preferring trinkets that may not be many in numbers but I absolutely love them. Less is always more.

c.    Fade away careless attitude: When you know, you pushed yourself to limits to purchase something; you go extra miles to take care of it. I always feel lazy after 9-6 day job. If I am wearing cheapo dress, chances are my inner voice will convince my mind that it’s not worth changing dress and I’ll sleep in the same. Believe me, it disgusts me equally. But, if I spent fortune on something, I’ll try to take extra care of it. Quality items always compel me to live a heedful life. 
d.    To plan properly: It’s the extension of the first point I made. Impulsive shopping can cost you a lot as it deprives you of the benefit of planning, making price comparisons, and sleeping over your decisions to determine if you actually need that item. Also, you don’t think through whether it goes along with your style or not. And, you buy one shampoo after the other, one moisturizer after the other, more foundations, more handbags, and more clothes and so on. Spending more on a thing doesn’t make it a quality item. Similarly, with proper planning you can buy classic items on sales. Just little bit of research will make all the difference.
MY RULE:


Rules discipline our behavior and help us stick to our goals. After opting for quality instead of quantity, I know I might not get everything I want. I have set a new shopping rule: 

1.    I set aside 30% of my disposable income from every source as savings which I don’t touch. By disposable income I mean that after tax income that I am left with after contributing in household expenses. 

2.    Rest of the 70% is my shopping budget that I hold back for two months. I now shop every two months. During this time, I window shop, I research, I make comparisons, I sleep over my decisions, I ask friends, I wait for sale, I evaluate my personal style, I read magazines, I look for reviews, I scan blogs. At the end of two months, I have sizable budget and a completely planned list. 

I confess that my shopping has shrunken from 100% to 50% but every item that I now purchase is I absolutely love. Plus, I have complete control over my savings.  In my next post, I’ll share my wish list and shopping list template with you. Till then;

Pictures Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is important to us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...