Tuesday 22 October 2013

Five Ways to Organize Spices:


Kitchens are incomplete without spices. On weekends, I often end up in kitchen trying new recipes and experimenting with these magical powders. Though, at my home, plastic jars are so far doing a very good job of categorizing and arranging an array of seasonings; I’m always excited to try new ways. This post is about sharing with you 5 ways to organize spices followed by a simple check list to spice up the spice cabinet.
APPROACH 1: STADIUM SPICE RACKS


Spices are so many that unless there is a way to glance them all at once, I’ll have hard time finding one. I have said it several time that I’m a visual person; I have to see so as to believe. And thus, I find tiered spice racks a very appropriate solution for the spicy needs. If jars are properly labeled near the top, it becomes easier to find the right flavor quickly with such racks. Also, it’s a great space optimizer.
APPROACH 2: STEEL TIN BOXES
Sometimes, we aren’t lucky enough to get our hands on a dedicated spice counter. But that shouldn’t keep us from organizing spices - even it means exploiting that large drawer near the oven. Small tin boxes can be declared as the new home for seasoning and flavors as they can nicely rest in the drawer with the face up. Clear tin lids make it easier to see through boxes; nonetheless, you can always label them for added convenience. 
APPROACH 3: GLASS JARS


Every one, hands down! Okay, I am in love with glass jars. Despite the fact I have to be really careful while handling them; but, still it can’t lessen my love for these clear glass jars. Sight of nicely stored condiments in glass containers in itself is so pleasing. Maintaining these jars, however, is no less than a chore. In order to make them shine every second, I have to wash them quite often.
APPROACH 4: PULL OUT SPICE RACK

Now this is what you call a practical solution to  a “spicy” problem. It’s definitely a life saver as I can’t get my heels off the ground every now and then to see and pick a spice at the back. I would definitely like to give it a try so that all the spices could come down with minimum effort.
APPROACH 5: MAGNETIC BOXES


How cool is that? I don’t know why but idea of magnetic boxes fascinates me a lot. It’s a space saver and can secretly give you plenty of free counter space. By using, otherwise unused space of, fridge’s side and counter’s door we can literally double the space. And it’s easy to maintain too. All I need is to use my spices and stick them back to the magnetic strip. And, voila, I’m done.

SPICES ORGANIZING CHECK LIST:
      ·         Pull out all the spices from where ever you are storing them.

·         Discard all outdated spices and those that have lost their flavor.

·         Make a list of left over spices.

·         Choose a way to store your spices. (Stadium rack, magnetic boxes, jars etc.)

·         Arrange for boxes/jars to store those spices.

·         After having jars properly cleaned and dried, store seasonings in them.

·         Label your jars with appropriate spice name.

·         If possible, also mention expected expiry date.

·         Assemble jars/ containers according to the chosen way.

·         Celebrate!

WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY?
Did you like these spice storing ideas? What you have to contribute? Any tip that you would like to share that has been working for you?
                                  
Pictures Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is important to us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...